Monday, December 25, 2017

My Favorite Reads of 2017



I love being home for the holidays for the obvious reasons, but also because my family and I never have any plans. We stay home and in our pajamas, watching movies, eating food, and taking naps. It's a few days of much needed rest, and it gives me a little time to read as well.

I'm sadly not going to finish my Goodreads reading challenge, but I did better this year than last and I read a lot of great books. I'm still trying to finish a couple more before the new year, but I wanted to go ahead and share a few of my favorites from 2017 (in no particular order).

Shrill by Lindy West
This memoir made me laugh and cry, which is the best kind of memoir, in my opinion. Lindy West writes about growing to accept herself and her body and fighting to be heard and respected both as a woman and a fat person, and she does it so well.

Us by David Nicholls
I read One Day a few years ago and it quickly became one of my all-time favorite books, so I was a little nervous to read another of David Nicholls's novels, but Us did not disappoint. It has the same heart and wit as One Day, but it's a totally different book with strong and endearing characters that stand on their own.

We Are Never Meeting in Real Life. by Samantha Irby
You know the phrase "bust a gut"? Pretty sure it was coined in reference to this book. I had to stop, like, every other page to read sections (or entire chapters) to Melany because it was just too good to keep to myself.

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
I'm so proud of John Green, guys. This is his first novel in six years, and it's far and away his best. It's a bestseller and has made all of the end-of-year lists and, dammit, it really does deserve it. Please read it so we can talk about it.

Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Technically, I didn't read this book as I borrowed the audiobook from Melany, but I maintain that that's the only way to take in Yes Please. Amy Poehler (as well her friends and family who "guest star" on the audiobook) is hilarious and a really wonderful writer. This one is really fun, guys.

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
This gorgeous novel starts with two half-sisters in 18th century Ghana and follows, not two storylines, but two bloodlines throughout the years. Even though you really only get to know each character for one chapter, Gyasi manages to flesh them out and bring each of them to life.

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson*
Aside from the few authors I already know I love (like John Green), I don't really read a lot of YA anymore, but I'd heard a ton (a literal ton) of great things about this book—and everyone was right. It follows a set of twins at different times in their lives, each with half of the story, and it's passionate and beautiful and so filling.

Have you read any of these? If you have, hit me up so we can talk about them, please. Otherwise, let me know what your favorite reads of the year are!

-Maggie

* Not pictured because I borrowed it from the library. (Support your local library and your local independent bookstore!)

4 comments :

SR said...

I LOVED We Are Never Meeting in Real Life! It was my favorite read of 2017.
Love your book round ups!

Dillon said...

I haven't read a single one of these and I am honestly ashamed.

Lizzie said...

I love following your Goodeads :)

I'd say Shrill is definitely at the top of my list, too. I've yet to read the others but I'm aiming to do tons of reading in 2018.

Ahhh, I have to get my hands on a copy of Turtles All the Way Down!

Natalie said...

I LOVED TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN

And I'm in the middle of Homegoing rn and it's so lovely

i need to read we are never meeting IRL

<3

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering