Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A List of Things That Are Getting Me Through

The world is weird right now. Weird and scary and totally surreal. I cried about everything for the first time a few nights ago. Dylan and I were lying in bed, about to go to sleep, and I think everything just settled over me—all the deaths, the suffering, the loss of jobs and livelihoods, the unending anxiety.

"It's okay to be sad," Dylan told me, rubbing my arm. "Letting yourself be sad is part of taking care of yourself." Him reminding me of that, that it's okay to let myself feel my feelings, really comforted me. I hope you can take a bit of comfort from that reminder too.



Like literally everyone else in the world, I've been trying to do things to help calm my anxieties so I'm not spiraling every second of every day. These are things that have helped me (which also doubles as a list of things I am grateful for).

01. Taking long walks through our neighborhood, looking at all the houses we could never afford and critiquing the owners' tastes.

02. Bob's Burgers, the most wholesome and ridiculous show—perfect viewing for a global pandemic.

03. Wildflowers blooming literally everywhere! Despite everything, it's still spring.

04. Baking sweet things every weekend.

05. Yoga on weekend mornings or right when I get home from work to help me chill out. (We've been doing Yoga with Adriene.)

06. Finding ways to be creative, from making tissue paper rainbows to designing clothes in Animal Crossing.

07. Snuggling with Edie. (It's been especially hard to get out bed in the mornings. Sometimes Dylan has to save me as I am powerless against her.)

08. A well-stocked liquor cabinet.

09. Finally signing up for Disney+ and re-watching That's So Raven (still so good) and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (so bad and not really in a good way).

10. Reading Little Women for the first time. It's utterly delightful, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to read it. I'm especially looking forward to watching all the film adaptions now.

11. Hosting game nights via Zoom. Nothing can stop me from being the hostess with the mostest, dammit!

12. Supporting my favorite local businesses in whatever way I can. So many shops and restaurants are doing curbside pick-up, contactless delivery, and/or free shipping despite being closed. Our local businesses need us the most right now! If you're able, support them before giving your money to Amazon or the like.

What's helping you? Stay home and stay safe, everyone. We'll get through it.

-Maggie


1 comment :

Lizzie said...

Have you ever crossed paths with Adrienne down in Austin? I'm close to finishing her first 30-day challenge.

I am about to post a what got me through 2020 video! I'll likely make an accompanying post. It's always nice to see the Blogger Family blogging in their own ways. <3

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering