Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15: Kismet

Day before yesterday, I was having a bad day at work. I was in a terrible mood and time was dragging because of it, making my seven-hour shift seem like fifteen.

A middle-aged woman with dark hair walked up carrying one of those little blue baskets. I asked her how she was (she was "pretty good"), and began checking her few items. She realized that she had forgotten something, and asked the sacker to grab her two onions.

While we waited, she asked me about school and my major. I told her I was majoring in English, and she asked, as everyone does, if I was going to teach.

"No, I want to be a librarian," I said.

"Oh! My daughter is a librarian," she said. "She could be like your mentor!" She grinned.

"Hey, if she's willing!" I laughed.

We talked some more about her daughter and what she did, I mentioned being worried about not getting accepted into the Master's program, and she asked me some more questions. Then she handed me her business card.

"If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know," she said.

I took the card and thanked her profusely, startled by her kindness. After all, we had only been talking for a few minutes, the amount of time it took for the sacker to run to the produce section and back. She began gathering her things and said it wasn't a problem, that she would love to help anyone who wanted to be like her daughter.

"You know," she said stopping at the end of the counter, "I never come to this United. I think God sent me here."

It's good to know there are still good people out there.

-Maggie

5 comments :

mayte. said...

I love little things like that and people that are kind. they make everything better.

Bookish.Spazz said...

First, I have to thank you for your profusely long comment on my post. It helped. A lot.

Secondly, that is awesome. So very awesome.

Dillon said...

This is an adorable story Maggie. I've always had a mentality that things happen for a reason, and when those things are good, you can't help but to smile.
It is good to know that there are still good people out there. :)

Natalie said...

That is wonderful. It's so fantastic when chance encounters like these happen that could end up completely changing the way your day, even your life, could go. Sometimes strangers surprise you with their kindness, and it makes me happy.

Kayleigh said...

I do believe that that stuff does happen for a reason. Isn't it neat how everything had to go just so for that to work out? Congrats, by the way. I think it's so cool when that happens :)

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering