Monday, October 8, 2012

You're already home where you feel love.

Last weekend I was in Austin for my friend Mary's bridal shower. As I have mentioned many times, the drive to Austin is a good seven hours. I usually drive it by myself, but this time KaCee and Husmann joined me. I didn't even have to drive! I expected the trip to fly by since I had more than audiobooks to keep me company, but it was brutally long as it rained pretty much the entire way.

It was nearly eleven when we finally got to Austin and met Melany at Magnolia's (one of my favorites–if you hadn't noticed that I eat there every time I go to Austin) since the three of us hadn't eaten dinner. The next day we put on lipstick, slipped on some heels, bought a vacuum, and went to Mary's shower. The four of us plus Britny were asked by Mary's other friends to tell stories of "high school Mary," which was very fun. It was great to see everyone's reactions when we told them of all the weird things Mary used to (still) does, like spray Febreze in her hair when she didn't have time to shower.

Later that night the four of us plus Britny and Melissa went to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which was absolutely perfect and emotionally scarring. I usually don't cry in public places, like a movie theater, for example. I can usually hold it together pretty well, but I cried throughout the entire movie. I may have still been crying in the car afterward. What I am saying is this: Go see this movie as soon as you can, but definitely don't go alone. If you go without your Melany, you will be in the fetal position on the theater floor by the time the credits roll.

We didn't set any alarms and slept in on Sunday, which was nice because we were exhausted, but not because we had to leave as soon as we woke up. Leaving Austin never gets any easier. It has had my heart since my eighteenth birthday when Melany and I stood on her brother's balcony, looking out at the downtown lights and listening to the sound of the highway. There is just something about it that feels right.

Each time I go, my love for the city grows. It's a nice reminder that all of the work I'm doing now isn't for nothing. People ask me why I'm taking so many hours in school, why can't I just stay one more semester, why I want to move to Austin–because it makes me happy. There is no better reason than that.

I hope, if you haven't yet, you find the place that feels like home. You may have never lived there, you may have lived there your entire life, you may have only visited once–that doesn't matter. The point is that you get there as soon as you can. Do everything you can to get home.

-Maggie

8 comments :

Bookish.Spazz said...

Austin is indeed a wonderful city. I love the culture, the people, the wonderful atmosphere that makes it completely unique from other parts of Texas.

Ahhhh!

I can't wait until I get stationed in San Antonio, because then I'll finally be close enough to visit it all the time!

Natalie said...

This was so wonderful to read. I really cannot wait until you get to move to Austin permanently. You'll be so happy and it will all be worth it. And I can't wait to go to Austin and have you show all of us everything about your favorite place.

I also cannot wait to see Perks. I'll probably end up going with my best friends when I come home to visit, and be on the floor of the movie theater crying. It will be great.

Melany said...

Your last paragraph is very, very well written.

Dammit, Maggie! I need to be working on a paper that's due tomorrow and now you've made me all emotional!

Tkmez said...

I have a Melany! Her name is Maggie. Love you Lulu.

Dillon said...

*Flood of nostalgia overwhelms*
I'm missing Seattle now. I hope you can get to Austin soon!

Kayleigh said...

I haven't quite found "home" yet. It's an ongoing search for me :)
It sounds like a lovely time, though! I'm glad you had a good experience!

shelbyisms said...

Gah. I just relate to you all the time. "Each time I go, my love for the city grows. It's a nice reminder that all of the work I'm doing now isn't for nothing. People ask me why I'm taking so many hours in school, why can't I just stay one more semester, why I want to move to Austin–because it makes me happy. There is no better reason than that." AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN.

Sam's my home. GOTTA GO GO GO.

Kaylie said...

Whoa. I was reading this and when I got to the last paragraph I immediately started to tear up. You're so right about finding a home--very powerful words!

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering