Tuesday, March 14, 2023

My Favorite Reads of 2022

Another year has come and gone, which means I am here again to share my favorite books. Does anyone read this? Probably not, but it’s really more for me, which is good because I never post it in a timely manner anyway. As I’m typing this, it’s nearly two in the afternoon on New Year’s Eve, but what day will it be once we reach the end of this post? Only time will tell!

I read 43 books this year. I missed my goal by two, but of that 43 only four were rereads (which is a dramatic improvement from last year when 19 of 46 books were rereads). I read a lot of great books, so without further ado and in no particular order, here are my favorites of the year.


Little by Edward Carey^
Little was the first book my book club read this year and it ended up being everyone’s favorite. The novel tells the incredible story of the tumultuous early life of the little girl who would become Madame Tussaud. It follows her from a small village in Switzerland to Paris and Versailles amidst the French Revolution, and, as you can imagine, shit gets crazy. The author is also a wonderful artist, so there were cool (and creepy) illustrations throughout that I really loved.

“When my breastbone starts to hurt, and my throat tightens, and tears well in my eyes, I want to look away from feeling. I want to deflect with irony, or anything else that will keep me from feeling directly. We all know how loving ends. But I want to fall in love with the world anyway, to let it crack me open. I want to feel what there is to feel while I am here.”

I fucking love John Green. The essays in this book range in topic from sunsets and “our capacity for wonder” to Diet Dr Pepper and Penguins of Madagascar, all rated on a five-star scale. They are beautiful and so personal, and I’m so grateful to John for sharing so much of himself. I was laughing and crying the whole time.


I Kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston
Never have I ever read a story with two more unhinged teenage girls. Casey McQuiston has a talent for characterization, and Chloe and Shara were absolutely feral in the best possible way. I also love how they wrote about the complicated relationship you can have with a (small, conservative) hometown that doesn’t always love you back. 

“Not knowing for certain, but refusing to give way to those who claim certainty, was a privilege I had never allowed myself. My life was narrated for me by others. Their voices were forceful, emphatic, absolute. It had never occurred to me that my voice might be as strong as theirs.”

Educated by Tara Westover*^
Word of advice: Do not go into this book uninformed. (I almost said “uneducated,” but I stopped myself.) I only had a vague idea of what this memoir was about, so I was not at all prepared for how dark and gruesome many parts are. It is beautiful, but very heavy so take care when reading.


Forget the Alamo by Jason Stanford, Bryan Burrough, and Chris Tomlinson*
If you grew up in Texas, you took at least one Texas history course in elementary or high school (I’m pretty sure I had two) and you probably think you know your stuff, but I’m here to tell you that you don’t. Forget the Alamo does an incredible job of laying out the before, during, and after of the Battle of the Alamo, and explains all that led to the Alamo myth we know (and are still taught!) today. If you grew up in Texas, this is a must-read. If you didn’t grow up here, this will probably shed some light on why Texans are the way we are about Texas.

A beautiful coming-of-age novel that follows a daughter of Mexican immigrants after the death of her “perfect” sister that left my heart feeling tender and raw. There are so many layers in this story—grief, depression, generational trauma—but my favorite was the relationship between Julia and her parents, especially her mom. It’s totally heartbreaking, but clings to hope all the same.


An incredibly cute and very heartwarming graphic novel about a prince with a secret life and a dressmaker with big dreams. I loved the art, the sweet story, and aaall of the dresses.

“Sometimes it feels like we are only this: moments of knowing and unknowing one another. A sound that is foreign until it’s familiar. A drill that’s a scream until it’s a drill. Sometimes it’s nothing more than piecing together the ways in which our hearts have all broken over the same moments, but in different places. But that’s romantic. Sometimes it’s realer than that.”

A coming-of-age memoir with a special focus on the author’s relationship with her parents—how parents can love so much, but sometimes still fall short as all humans do. The trauma and pain is balanced well with dark humor and lyrical writing. It was probably my favorite memoir of the year.


The Charm Offensive by Alison Cochrun^
If you love reality dating shows, you will love this book. If you hate reality dating shows, you will also love this book. It’s a goddamn delight. I loved the humor, the characters (especially Parisa), and the focus on mental health, sexuality, and acceptance.

I’m typically never drawn to fantasy books and anything with “faeries” specifically has always caused my eyes to roll, but listen—I was #influenced and I loved every goddamn second of it. The story was exciting, fun, and surprisingly dark, and it’s been a very long time since I was so sucked into a world like that. So just give in to it, folks! Read the sexy faerie books!


Dear Sweet Pea by Julie Murphy*
I’m pretty sure every Julie Murphy book I’ve read has ended up on my favorites list for that year. She can do no wrong in my eyes, and her first middle grade novel was no exception! Sweet Pea is navigating her parents’ divorce and ex-best friends and everything else that comes with being in middle school—but has also managed to (partially and secretly) take over her eccentric neighbor’s advice column in the local newspaper. This story is sweet, fun, and heartfelt—the perfect middle grade read.

Real Hero Shit by Kendra Wells
This is the gayest and horniest fantasy romp, and my only complaint is that it isn’t 1,000 pages long (thankfully there’s a sequel in the works!). Eugene is such a delightful and ridiculous character, and I can’t wait for more adventures with our favorite prince of chaos.

Honorable mentions: How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper; Lumberjanes by Grace Ellis, ND Stevenson, and Shannon Watters; Seven Days In June by Tia Williams^

As always, I’ve linked back to my favorite independent bookstore, BookPeople, but I encourage you to support any indie bookstore you love. If you’re not in a position to spend (or if you, like me, just should not be buying more books), support your local library instead!

- Maggie

* Borrowed from the library

No comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering