Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 5: Happy

There are many simple things I could do to make my life happier and less stressful. I go through short periods where I actually do these things, but they eventually taper off. I am not sure why I let that happen, but now I am going to make a special effort to do the following because I could always use less stress.
  1. My days always go so much better when I get up early enough to take my time getting ready. Whenever I have time to watch an episode of Will & Grace while I eat a bowl of Cheerios or time to dress up in a cute outfit and fix my make-up, I just feel good. I have gotten into the bad habit of getting up thirty minutes before I'm meant to leave, throwing on sweatpants, and rushing out the door. It's not a good way to start the day, and I feel bad all day because of it.
  2. When I make time to exercise–not even everyday, but at least a couple of times a week–I feel better. Exercise is supposed to make you feel better, and being sore is a good thing when you know you've worked for it.
  3. Honestly, one thing that makes me so happy is to turn up some Glee or Team StarKid and just dance around my room. When I was at Cisco, I literally did this daily and it never got any less fun, but it did make me less stressed. Next time you're feeling overwhelmed, I implore you to just turn up some music and dance like crazy.
  4. I have also found that, regardless of what I'm doing, if I stop and take the time to watch The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, I feel better. He is so hilarious, and it's a nice release at the end of a long day or a good break from studying.
  5. And, of course, reading. If I have time, even just a fifteen minute break at work, to read for pleasure rather than for school, I am instantly happier. It's like I get my fix or something.
Do you subconsciously do things to make your life more difficult and less fun as well? Make a list, and make a point to change that. There is no reason not to, after all.

-Maggie

P.S. If you have any suggestions for posts, questions you would like answered, etc. please leave them in a comment! I want my BEDA posts to be interesting and actually worth reading. I don't want to just ramble aimlessly for the next month like I did when I first did BEDA. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

5 comments :

maggeygrace said...

i'm the very same way. i know that i SHOULD go work out or that i SHOULD wake up early but i usually end up not showering and wearing something out of my laundry bin or sitting on the computer for an extra 45 minutes. and feel crappy. *lazy*

Natalie said...

You know what makes me happy? When I see that my IRL friends follow you on Tumblr. Even though they joke that you guys are all creepy old men I know you'd be friends. I don't know why that makes me so happy, but it does.

If I don't run, more often than not I end up feeling much more stressed and just plain icky. I need those endorphins. Ah, and yes, nothing like some Glee or Starkid to turn that frown upside down.

Lizzie said...

1. Reading posts Maggie writes because they are simultaenously marvelous (as the title suggests) and insightful. JUST HOW DO YOU DO IT?

P.S. I love you. (Is a great movie starring Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank.)

Em [The Writer] said...

A very lovely list!

mayte. said...

I say you write a post about your dog (:
because dogs are better than cats and everyone knows it.

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering