Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Home


Sometimes, without warning, life can get a little crazy. Somehow you have plans and commitments almost every night of the week, and it seems like you're only ever home to sleep. Suddenly, it's November and you accidentally haven't blogged since June, and you're not really sure where the time went. This is an especially jarring change of pace when you're accustomed to spending most every night in your pink armchair eating tacos and watching sitcoms with your best friend/roommate who is often confused for your live-in gal pal.

But you know what? It's been fun. It's also been weird–there is a lot that has me a little out of my element–but I'm just going to roll with it.

Two Saturdays ago was my one year anniversary of my move to Austin. (I meant to post this blog on that Saturday, but 1) it's me and 2) life.) There's a small part of me that can't believe it's already been a year, but mostly I'm surprised it hasn't been longer. In some ways, it feels like I've always been here. I think it's because Austin felt like home before I even moved here, so there wasn't really an "adjustment" period for me. It was more like a sigh of relief–like crawling into your own bed after a long trip away. It just felt like coming home.

Before my move, I compiled a mental list of things I wanted to do once I got here. At the top of that list was to be more open, to "put myself out there" as they say. I wanted to make more friends. I wanted to try some sort of online dating. I wanted to go events and meet new people. I wanted to get out of the little bubble I kept myself in.

And guess what? I actually did! Not all at once, and not even totally successfully, but I did it.

I tried online dating–both Match.com and Tinder–which was mostly ridiculous, but the result was surprising. (In case you were wondering, Tinder is far and away the better option.) I started meeting up with an awesome and inspiring group of ladies for coworking on Tuesdays, which is where I am now, and I look forward to it every week. (Shoutout to the #atxcoworkingladies!) I'm hosting a book club at the local West Elm and the second meeting is tomorrow. I even went to not just one, but two parties on Halloween. Look at me! I'm being a person out in the world!

Long story short: Life is full and it's exhausting, but mostly it's exhilarating.

-Maggie

No comments :

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering