Sunday, November 29, 2020

To Read #002

Literally four years ago, I published my first "To Read" post. In an effort to knock down my exponentially growing to-read list and frankly shameful backlog, I had the idea that I would share a few books on my list and then, later, give brief reviews of each and share the next set I planned to read. I thought it was a great idea!

And then, true to form, I just... didn't do it.

I mean, I did read the books* eventually. I just read a bunch of other books in-between (not to mention it took me ages to get through Body Counts), so I never got around to writing my thoughts down or picking the next set. (I think my mistake may have been choosing six books. Six, I think, is too many.)

But now I'm back! Before getting into the next batch, here are my very brief thoughts for the books on #001.
  1. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty - ★★★★
    Incredibly interesting, well-written, and will definitely make you rethink your ideas on death and the dead.
  2. Us by David Nicholls - ★★★★★
    I originally questioned whether this book would be anywhere near as good as One Day (one of my favorites) and it definitely is—but in its own unique way. It was funny and sad and real, and I really enjoyed the characters and story.
  3. Body Counts: A Memoir of Activism, Sex, and Survival by Sean Strub - ★★★★★
    Equal parts memoir and history book, Strub's story is told with such passion and love—but pulls no punches. Take your time with this one.
  4. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides - ★★★
    I rounded up to three stars because Eugenides is an undeniably great writer (and it's obvious he knows this) and there were some passages I really loved, but I did not like this book. Save yourself some time and pass on this one.
  5. Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling - ★★★★★
    Simply delightful, but I would expect nothing less from our dear Mindy.
On to the next set (of a hopefully more realistic four) books!
• Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
I've heard only wonderful things about Jason Reynolds, but have never gotten around to reading any of his work. A friend suggested I start here, and I'm really looking forward to finally digging in. A 300-page novel written in verse that spans the course of a 60-second elevator ride just sounds like it's gotta be good, right? 

There There by Tommy Orange
When I worked at BookPeople, there were many times that a book would create an audible buzz around the store. Most had either read it or were waiting to get their hands on an ARC, and everyone was talking about it. There There was one of those books. It follows twelve characters from Native communities, all traveling to the Big Oakland Powwow and all connected in ways they've yet to realize.

Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley
Solomon is agoraphobic and hasn't left his house in over three years. Lisa is determined to "fix" him (and get into the second-best psychology program in the country), so she and her boyfriend Clark befriend Solomon, but no one expects what comes next. John Corey Whaley is an author that I will just always buy books from, no matter what—yet somehow his third book has sat unread on my bookshelf for four years and I think it's well past time to change that.

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
Joan Didion is an author who I've always known of, but never really known anything about. Within the last few years, I've probably seen a dozen Instagram friends mention this book in particular, which is what finally led me to pick this off the shelf when I spotted it at a used bookstore in San Antonio. I love memoirs in general, but something tells me this one will be special—and especially heartbreaking.

To be honest, I'm a big mood reader, so chances are high that I will do exactly the same thing with this list and be back here again sometime towards the end of 2024, but we'll just have to risk it (mostly because this post has been sitting, almost finished, in my drafts for a year... I am so bad at blogging).

-Maggie

* Okay, I still haven't read Love in the Time of Cholera yet, but I've got to move on at some point!

1 comment :

Amy said...

I've heard such good things about There There!
You posted this just as I was about to start working on my post about what I read in 2020. :)

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering