Friday, February 19, 2021

My Favorite Reads of 2020

Listen, let's not even talk about how emotionally scarring the last year has been and just get right to the books instead. (Also, let's ignore the fact that it's the middle of February and I'm just now finishing this.)

I was just one book away from meeting my reading goal for the year, which is a bit of a bummer, but I still read six more books than I did in 2019 so I'm calling it a win. (Besides, everybody should just cut themselves some slack right now.)

You get eleven favorite books this year. I always try to narrow down my lists to a more manageable number, but as usual it proved to be impossible. (Clearly, as I couldn't even knock one off to make it an even ten.) There was nothing I could do—I loved all of these books. I've never been very good at discerning favorites among favorites either, so these are in no particular order. Enjoy!

"People don't just happen. We sacrifice former versions of ourselves. We sacrifice the people who dared to raise us. The 'I' it seems doesn't exist until we are able to say, 'I am no longer yours.'"

We are truly fortunate to live in a world at the same time as Saeed Jones. His memoir takes us through growing up Black and gay in the South, and his relationships with his grandmother and mother. His writing is beautiful and true, and I loved every minute of this book.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Despite being an English major and classics like Little Women being extremely my shit, I had somehow never read it before this year. I was determined to do so before seeing the new movie, and I'm so glad I did. It's just good. I enjoyed the characters, the story, and the language so much; everything about it felt warm and light. The movie is wonderful in its own right, but (as it usually goes) the book is better and well-worth the read.

The Hand on the Wall by Maureen Johnson
To absolutely no one's surprise, the conclusion to the Truly Devious series was one of my favorite reads of the year. (If you'll recall, Truly Devious was a favorite of 2018 and The Vanishing Stair was an honorable mention in 2019.) I don't think this is my favorite of the series, but I loved the way it came together as a whole. I've enjoyed everything Maureen Johnson has written, but I think she's truly found her niche, and I'm so glad she's giving us another Stevie Bell mystery with The Box in the Woods (out in June!)

Such A Fun Age by Kiley Reid
This is not only a great and very funny novel, but a great example of how "well-meaning" white people often end up making situations more difficult, and oftentimes dangerous, for Black people. A good reminder for white people to listen to Black people, and examine what the intent or purpose behind our actions really are.

Home Before Dark by Riley Sager
When Maggie Holt was five, she and her parents moved into Baneberry Hall, only to flee in the dead of night three weeks later. Maggie has no memory of the ghostly encounters that caused them to leave so suddenly, and has always been skeptical of her father's account in his (wildly popular) book House of Horrors—until she returns to Baneberry Hall twenty-five years later. I will continue to read everything Riley Sager puts out because he can write a goddamn thriller, folks! I loved the spooky, supernatural twist to this story (even if it did make it hard to go to sleep some nights).

"What I'm saying is that girls hunger. And we're taught, from the moment our brains can take it, that there isn't enough food for us all."

Sawkill Girls by Claire LeGrand
I know I said I'm bad at picking favorites, but this might have been my favorite book I read last year.  The story follows Marion, Zoey, and Val, three girls on the island of Sawkill Rock—where girls have been disappearing without a trace for decades. It was delightfully creepy, and I loved how it displayed female friendships and relationships, and the strength and will power of girls. Teenage girls will kick your ass and save the world.

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
I didn't realize how very little I really knew about this Golden State Killer until I read this book. Michelle McNamara did an incredible job of laying out the details and explaining every aspect of this case, but you never get lost in logistics or jargon. She reminds you every step of the way that everyone involved in this case is a human, a real person, and that the killer isn't a monster or a criminal mastermind, but a man who did terrible things and was just lucky to not get caught for decades. McNamara wrote with such fervor and care, and it keeps you hooked on the investigation even though we now (thankfully, finally) know the outcome.

Do you want to feel joy again? This comic is the perfect antidote to *gestures at everything* right now. The story of Bitty (a vlogger, former junior figure skating champion, and baker of many pies) and his hockey team is as funny as it is sweet, and the characters are so lovable. Sticks & Scones is the second and final in the series, and I definitely wept at the end because it's just so goddamn pure. (If you can't wait to get you hands on physical copies, most of the comic is still available online!)

This Will Be My Undoing by Morgan Jerkins
Simply put, this is an incredible book. Jerkins interweaves her experiences as a Black woman with commentary about pop culture, feminism, racism, misogyny, and Black history. I wrote out entire passages in my journal and filled up six pages before I just started writing page numbers to save time/my hand because it was all so good, so important. I highly recommend it, and am really looking forward to reading her latest Wandering in Strange Lands that came out last August.

“You will always struggle with not feeling productive until you accept that your own joy can be something you produce. It is not the only thing you will make, nor should it be, but it is something valuable and beautiful.”

I'd been looking forward to this book since reading An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (which you can read my review of here), but I had absolutely no idea what to expect storyline-wise, which made for a truly wild ride. It's hilarious, thoughtful, and weirdly timely considering it was written pre-pandemic (is Carl based on Hank?). I'm so glad we have this story.

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
A 300-page novel told in verse that spans a sixty second elevator ride—the time it takes fifteen-year-old Will to decide whether or not he's going to shoot the guy who murdered his brother. I'm so glad I added this to my last To Read list and picked it up right away. This was my first Jason Reynolds, but definitely won't be my last. 

As always, I encourage you to support independent bookstores whenever you shop (especially after 2020), and if you're not in a position to buy, support your local library! (Just please don't buy a book off Am*zon ever again, if you're able to avoid it. Instead, support a Black-owned indie by purchasing your very own Fuck Jeff Bezos mug!)

-Maggie

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering