Sunday, March 27, 2022

My Favorite Reads of 2021

Let’s start with some stats to give you an idea of the headspace I was in last year.

Of the 46 books I read, 19 of them were rereads. Ten of those rereads were The Princess Diaries series on audiobook. The remaining books mostly consisted of romances, mysteries, and a handful of celebrity memoirs. 2021 was definitely a year of comfort reads.

But it’s definitely what I needed. There were only a few times last year when I felt like I could mentally/emotionally handle something more “literary” or with a weightier subject matter (God, could you imagine trying to read something like A Little Life right now? Or, like, ever?*), despite having many, many books that fit that description on my TBR list. I’m hopeful that 2022 will require far fewer rereads and see a better balance overall, but, you know, we’ll see how that goes given *gestures broadly*.

Without further ado, here are my favorite new reads of last year (in no particular order because I had a hard enough time narrowing them down this much).

Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon
I have always enjoyed reading memoirs because I enjoy reading about people, to put it simply, but I also really admire the courage it takes to share so much of yourself. Even comic memoirs require a certain amount of vulnerability—then there are the memoirs like Heavy, where it feels like the author has laid themselves bare in front of you. Laymon shares about his complicated relationship with his mother and his body and growing and living as Black boy/man, and does so so beautifully and generously.

Lara Jean’s story is the perfect mixture of fun, love, and heartache, and I ate it all up. I listened to the entire series on audiobook courtesy of the Austin Public Library (often while I was baking), and it was such a delight. Audiobooks, especially YA, can be really hit or miss with the narrators, but I thought that Ali Ahn did a fantastic job.

“Back then, though, it never occurred to me to question any of these stories. It was always my religion to believe anything anyone told me.”

Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood
If I remember correctly, everyone in my book club heartily disliked this book except for me, and I loved it. It was hilarious and touching, and often hit close to home as a person who grew up in a conservative Christian family. (The quote above literally made me say “WHEW” out loud.) I really admired Lockwood’s writing and the way she easily moved from humor to sincerity.

I was expecting to enjoy this book because Mara Wilson just seems delightful as a person, but there were parts of her story that really resonated with me. I enjoyed learning more about her life in and out of acting, and was especially moved by what she shared about her struggles with OCD and coping with the death of her mother.

The best serial killer books aren’t really about the serial killer at all, and Last Call is a prime example. You learn so much about the victims and the investigators, as well as the city and gay community during the ‘80s and ‘90s, before you learn anything about the man who committed these terrible crimes. Green does an incredible job crafting the story and even manages an impressive twist that I did not see coming.

“‘Mere’ is an interesting word. A safe one. One can never be less than ‘mere.’ It is someplace to start. For instance, I am a mere storyteller. But who knows what I might accomplish from such a humble platform?”

Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire
Egg & Spoon is a middle grade novel inspired by Russian folktales and myths that follows Elena and Cat, two young girls whose paths cross and tangle, leading them on the adventure across Russia. I’ve always enjoyed Gregory Maguire’s writing, but I was still surprised by just how much I loved this book. It was a joy to read, especially literally every scene with Baba Yaga (who may be one of my favorite characters of all time).

This memoir is written in the voice of the author’s grandmother, almost as if the two of them are having a conversation, and it’s so moving, funny, and full of love. Grandmas are so good, the absolute best of us. [insert 45 crying emojis here]

One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston
Casey McQuiston has blessed us with another queer love story, and this one has everything: time travel, questionable subway sex, a lot of breakfast food, and more. One Last Stop is just as hilarious and fun as her first novel, but you can feel that this story is a little more personal, a little closer to home, and I think that shows most in the characterization of August’s found family and the love that they share.

The Box In the Woods by Maureen Johnson
If you love ‘70s summer camp serial killer vibes, this is the book for you. The Box In the Woods is the latest Stevie Bell mystery, but is a stand-alone from the Truly Devious trilogy. There are references to the Ellingham case, but no spoilers, so you could read this even if you haven’t read the first three (but you should definitely still read those). I love these books and I hope MJ writes 1,000 more.
 
“You gotta know about the history of your people. How you got to be here, that’s all based on what people done to get you here. Us bears, you Indians, we been through a lot. They tried to kill us. But then when you hear them tell it, they make history seem like one big heroic adventure across an empty forest. There were bears and Indians all over the place. Sister, they slit all our throats.”

There There by Tommy Orange
I think this may have been my favorite book of the year. Orange’s characters and their stories really stuck with me, and his writing is absolutely beautiful. Reading this also made me realize how few books I’ve read that were written by Native authors and/or feature Native characters. I’ve been remiss, and look forward to reading many more. (While writing this post, I found out that not only is Orange working on another novel, but it’s apparently a sequel to There There and I am FEELING THINGS.)

Honorable mentions: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (a solid recommendation from my favorite reading cousin, Julia ☺), Yearbook by Seth Rogen

As always, I’ve linked to BookPeople if you’d like to support my favorite independent bookstore, but really any indie will do. If you don’t have the funds to support an independent bookstore right now, then I aggressively encourage you to support your local library instead. (I was able to read/listen to seven of the books mentioned here thanks to Austin Public Library!)

-Maggie

* If you’re thinking of reading A Little Life, I instead encourage you to go outside, feel the warmth of the sun on your face, and marvel at, like, the sound of birdsong or something. You may be saying “Oh, but I love sad books that leave me as a hollow shell of a person.” No, you don’t. Not like this. There is sad and upsetting and emotionally devastating and then there is literal torture. I’m not saying that Hanya Yanagihara is a sadist who keeps people locked in her basement, but all the same it might be a good idea to check.

1 comment :

amy said...

Between you, a coworker, and some very good op-eds, I now know better than to ever touch a Yanagihara book. THANK YOU. <3

Blog Design by Get Polished | 2017 © Marvelous Meandering